Eating fruit for breakfast is easy…apples in your pancake batter (check), berries on your oatmeal (check)…but did you know that a measly 1% of us eat veggies for breakfast?!
That’s mind-boggling because vegetables are d-e-l-i-c-i-o-u-s any old time…especially in the morning!
Adding a variety of fresh veggies to your breakfast will give you the vitamins, minerals, antioxidants and phytonutrients that you need to power through your day like a superhero!
Here are eight easy (and very yummy) ways to load up your morning meal with lots of super powered veggies!
1. Get Scramblin’! Add any combo of sautéed veggies (we love chopped broccoli, peppers and spinach or baby kale, sliced mushrooms and diced tomatoes) to your morning scramble.
2. Supercharge Your Sammy! Top a piece of whole-grain toast or an English muffin with mashed avocado, sliced tomato and jicama or with hummus, watermelon radish and cucumber.
3. Hash Out Your Roots! Potatoes are considered to be one of the more breakfast-y veggies, but there are lots of tasty root veggies that you can shred, fry or hash. Try sweet potatoes, parsnips, rutabagas or burdock!
4. Batter Up! Add shredded carrots, summer squash or zucchini to your pancake or waffle batter.
5. Say “Olé!” Make a south-of-the-border breakfast burrito with roasted corn, peppers and red onion. Then add brown rice, black beans and avocado. Dip in salsa.
6. Transform Your Oats! Make your oatmeal savory by using veggie broth (or water with spices) in place of milk. Then stir in your favorite sautéed veggie mix. We love green onion, diced carrots, chopped green beans and peas.
7. Guzzle Your Greens! Make a super-powered breakfast beverage by adding lots of spinach, cucumber and/or celery to your fresh juice or smoothie.
8. Swap Your Side! Swap your usual side of bacon for roasted asparagus spears or maple glazed brussels sprouts. YUM.
Now dig in and have a very veggie-rific day!