We know what you’re thinking: TOFU? Isn’t that some crazy food for health nuts? But have you ever actually tasted it? (We’re guessing no!) Like the saying goes, don’t knock it til you try it! And we’re pretty sure once you try these tasty little bites, you’ll be hooked!
What is tofu anyways?
Tofu is made from soybean curds and is naturally gluten-free and low in calories. It contains no cholesterol and is an excellent source of protein, iron and calcium, making it an ideal meat substitute for those trying to incorporate more plant-based food into their diets.
In our Crispy Tofu Tenders recipe, we transform solid, white tofu into crispy-on-the-outside, tender-on-the-inside, nuggets of deliciousness!
Crispy Tofu Tenders
- 1 package firm tofu
- ¼ cup teff
- ¼ cup buckwheat flour
- 2 tbsp nutritional yeast
- 1 tsp salt
- ¼ tsp garlic powder
- ¼ tsp ground mustard
- ½ tsp paprika
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 1 tbsp coconut aminos
- Remove tofu from package, drain and pat dry. Cut into desired shapes. Freeze overnight. Remove from freezer and thaw in refrigerator.
- Preheat oven to 350°. Once thawed, place on paper towels to dry tofu. Combine lemon juice and coconut aminos. Once excess moisture has been removed lightly brush with lemon juice and coconut aminos mixture.
- In bowl, mix together teff, buckwheat flour, nutritional yeast, salt, garlic powder, ground mustard, and paprika.
- Roll tofu in breading mixture to coat evenly. Place nuggets on parchment lined baking sheet. Bake for 25-30 minutes.
- Let cool for a few minutes. Serve with vegan ranch dressing and veggies sticks!
MMMMM…this is making us very hungry! You too? Whip up a batch today and let us know what you think…you can thank us later! 🙂