Hard to believe summer is winding down already!
With the smell of freshly sharpened pencils and new school supplies lingering in the air, grammys, mommies and/or daddies are busy filling lunch boxes and watching as their little love bugs totter off to begin the new school year.
While this time of year is always bittersweet, I do look forward to making my darling Rootlets a yummy and healthy lunch. I’ve learned that even superheroes need a boost of good nutrition to power them through their afternoon studies.
A few of my favorite (Rootlets-approved) lunch ideas are:
- Peanut Butter Banana Sammy, on whole grain bread. Try apples, pears or strawberries too.
- Very Veggie Pita, filled with hummus and loaded with veggies like grated zucchini and carrots.
- Salad Swords like these.
- Smashed Avocado Wraps, with mashed avocado, lettuce, tomato, bell pepper and black beans.
- Tofu Tenders with vegan ranch dipping sauce and veggie sticks.
- Veggie Noodle Soup with a side of crusty bread for dunking in the soup.
I also love surprising Brocc, Carrotina, Cornelius and Kaley with special mid-day notes…especially when I know they have a big test to take or when they get those back-to-school jitters. This always makes them smile and helps brighten their day.
Maybe you’d like to do that too.
To help make it easier for you, here are a few click-and-print, Rootlets-themed lunch cards for you to slip into your sweetie’s lunch box.
Just click HERE to download them.
Of course, we’d love to hear from you. Do you have any healthy lunch ideas that you make for your kiddos? Do you like adding fun surprises or notes in their bag or box? If so, do tell us all about it in the comments below.
Until next time, I’d like to wish you and your little ones a happy and healthy start to the new school year!